This post was written to link with Five Minute Friday: write for five minutes on a one-word prompt. After writing about waiting for the last month, it amused me to see that the prompt today is “now.”
Also linking with Word of God speak and Glimpses
We’ve been thinking a lot about waiting here lately: waiting for God’s timing in dreams that have been placed on our hearts, waiting for breakthrough in healing, seeking God’s plan in our waiting, finding joy in our waiting and how we can use our waiting time productively.
But today we’re not talking about waiting. We’re talking about now, because there are times when we don’t have to wait.
“Now is the time of God’s favour, now is the day of salvation.” (1 Corinthians 6:2 NIV)
We can come to God now. We can know his love and his favour now.
And when we come to him, there are all kinds of blessings that we receive now:
- forgiveness: when we confess our sins he doesn’t make us wait for forgiveness or earn it; he freely offers it now.
- hope: when we come to God we see that, whatever our situation, the light shines in the darkness and the light is stronger. Our situation may not change instantly, but we have hope now.
- acceptance: we are his dear children, loved and chosen, adopted into his family. There’s no need to wait; we can enjoy it now.
- life: true, rich, eternal life in all its fullness- now!
- love: love which never fails and from which nothing can separate us. We have this now.
I could go on, but my five minutes is more than up.
The thing is, God longs to give us these things but he doesn’t force them on us.
“The Lord must wait for you to come to him so he can show you his love and compassion.” (Isaiah 30:18 NLT)
He is ready; he is willing; he is waiting for us. This is for now.
What are we waiting for?
Join me throughout November and December as we explore the topic of waiting. Click here for an index page of all the posts in the series.