For some reason, one of the first things that came to mind for me when seeing the prompt was the TV series “Thirteen Reasons Why.” I have never watched it but I know that it focuses on the story of a high school student and the thirteen reasons why she ended her life.
I thought I’d share my own version of thirteen reasons today: Thirteen Reasons For Hope.
1. We are never alone- God will never fail us or abandon us. (Isaiah 41:10)
2. Even when situations seem impossible to us, nothing is impossible with God. (Matthew 19:26)
3. No matter what is changing around us, God is always faithful. (Lamentations 3:22-23)
4. However broken we feel, God is the one who has power to heal and restore. (Psalm 147:3)
5. Whatever we have done, God is always ready to forgive. We don’t have to live in guilt and shame. (1 John 1:9)
9. Jesus’ power is more than enough to overcome no matter what trouble we face. There is no question about who will win the ultimate victory. (John 16:33)
10. God promises to guide us when we are uncertain about the way ahead. (Proverbs 3:5-6)
12. God can use our challenging situations to equip us to help and comfort others. (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)
13. We know how the story ends- and it’s going to be better than we could ever imagine. (Revelation 21:3-4)
And that’s just a start- I had to edit my original list to get it down to thirteen!
I’d love to hear: what are your reasons for hope?
PS- I know there are can be times when these reasons don’t seem true or don’t seem enough. If you are feeling seriously hopeless, please talk to someone, such as a trusted friend or family member- don’t battle on alone! Alternatively, in the UK, you can contact the Samaritans on 116 123 or in the US, you can contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline on 1-800-273-8255. Both these service provide free, confidential support 24/7.